Sharing The Road
To pass a cyclist:
1. Scan ahead to ensure it is safe to pass.
2. Check your rear and side mirrors for traffic.
3. Shoulder check your vehicle’s blind spot for traffic.
4. Signal your intention to change lanes.
5. Shoulder check your vehicle’s blind spot again for traffic.
6. If safe, steer into the passing lane. Always change lanes to pass. Do not pass too close.
7. Check your side mirror for visual of cyclist being passed.
8. When cyclist is visible in your rear mirror, shoulder check blind spot and signal return to lane.
9. Return to proper lane position, maintain speed, and cancel signal.
If a cyclist is approaching or crossing a crosswalk:
1. Stop before entering the crosswalk.
2. Yield the right of way to the pedestrian or dismounted cyclist.
3. Wait until the cyclist clears the crosswalk.
4. Before proceeding, scan left, centre, and right to ensure there are no other pedestrians or cyclists crossing the crosswalk.
5. Proceed on your way.