Key protections include:
- Airlines must inform travellers in simple, clear and concise language what their rights are on all itinerary-related documents and messaging.
- Overbooking: Compensation up to $2,400 for being involuntarily bumped from a flight and no cost re-booking.
- In the event your bag was lost, delayed or damaged, you may file a claim for the expenses you incurred up to approximately $2,300 CAD and airlines must refund any baggage fees you paid
- Tarmac delays: Airlines are required to provide standard of treatment (access to working washrooms, proper ventilation and heating/cooling, food and drink in reasonable quantities, etc.) beginning at the time of the delay. Airlines are also required to disembark passengers no later than 3 hours after the delay starts
- Cash compensation for delays and cancellations within carrier control that last more than three hours
- Airlines are required to offer free rebooking and/or refund travel that is delayed or cancelled, depending on circumstances
- Airlines must facilitate seating of children under the age of 14 near their parent, at no additional cost