CAA National

Your Local CAA Club

Enter Your Postal Code

Tow Truck

Roadside Assistance

For immediate roadside assistance please call:

for emergency roadside assistance

To obtain an IDP you must fill out this form and return it to your local CAA Club or fill out the online form and then print and return it to your local CAA Club.


An IDP is a document which, when accompanied by a valid driver’s license, enables a person to drive vehicles for tourism purposes in many foreign countries. Only CAA is authorized to issue IDPs in Canada, under a UN-approved mandate. Any non-CAA issued IDP is fake, and may not protect you in a foreign country. For more information, visit the Government of Canada website, click here.

  • Photocopy (front and back) of your valid Canadian provincial driver’s licence
  • 2 passport type photographs, signed by you
  • A completed and signed CAA IDP application form

You must be 18 years or older.

At any CAA store location in Canada.  You can visit the store in person or mail all the required documents to the store.  Find your closest location here.

If you visit a store, while you wait, it should take about 30 minutes to be processed. If you send your application by mail, it will take about two working days following receipt to process and mail back to you.

Some countries require tourists to have an IDP to rent a vehicle or drive in their country.  Check the driving rules and regulations in the country you plan on visiting and verify requirements with the rental company before you leave to determine if you need an IDP.

Penalties can vary from a fine to a citation.  Check the driving rules and regulations in the country you plan on visiting before you leave to determine if you need an IDP.

An IDP expires one year from the date it is issued or when the driving license expires, whichever comes first.

While the IDP is valid for one year some countries may have restrictions on the length of time you can drive there.  Check with the country you plan to visit before you leave.

You can use any Canadian Provincial or Territorial drivers licence.

Yes, but only after you have obtained written proof from the Ministry of Transportation in the Province or Territory where you are licenced that you still have a valid driver’s licence.

Yes, you can use a temporary licence to obtain an IDP.  If you are applying by mail, include a photocopy of the temporary licence.  Please note that an IDP is only valid with a valid driver’s licence, so we would advise you to ensure the licence you plan to use does not expire while you’re away.

IDP Form:

You can download and print the form here, or complete the form at any CAA office or store.

Use the address that is shown on your Canadian driver’s licence.

You can still obtain an IDP.  If you are applying by mail, include a note that states you are at a different address than your licence and include the address you would like the IDP mailed to.

The type of vehicle you will be driving with the IDP, based on those listed on your driving license (car, truck, motorcycle, bus etc.).

The date you will be leaving Canada or the date that you left Canada.

Yes, at the bottom of the application form there is an area for your credit card information. However, please phone your CAA club to provide your credit card CVV number, or provide a contact number so that the number can be obtained.  Financial industry rules prohibit including this number on your application form or providing it via e-mail.

Please mail your complete application, along with your photos, to your local CAA office. Find your local CAA office here.


We accept both colour and black and white passport-quality photos.

Yes, the photographs must be identical and of passport size and quality. They must also have been take within the last year.

No, we only accept passport-quality photos. We suggest you have your photos taken at a CAA branch office, where quality and timeliness can be assured.

The IDP applicant must sign the photographs on either the front or the back.

Applying for an IDP while not currently in Canada:

Yes, you can still apply for an IDP through the mail.  Please include a note that states you are not in Canada and the address you would like the IDP to be mailed to.  You can also have a loved one apply for you, see question below.

Yes, as long as they have the required documents and a letter from you giving them permission to do this.

Yes, as long as you are still in possession of a valid Canadian drivers licence.

Yes, please include a note with your return address.  If you would like it couriered please include this in the note, as well as access to funds to cover the courier cost.

No, only CAA can issue an IDP to individuals with Canadian driver’s licences.

Applying for an IDP as a member of DND/CAF

Please share your location information to display optimized content customized for your region.

Allow CAA to detect your location


Enter Your Postal Code

Go to

Location not Found!
Stay Here